Since 2013, the EHL has been selecting sites for their strong symbolic European value and for their role in the visibility of not only the European history and of the building of the European Union (EU), but also of the European values and of the human rights that are the basis of the process of European integration.
In order to obtain the EHL recognition, those Sites need to work aiming to achieve the following goals:
- Highlight its European significance;
- Educate European citizens, in particular young people, to the common cultural heritage;
- Facilitate the share of experiences and the exchange of the best practices in the Union;
- Improve its access to everyone, in particular to young people;
- Develop intercultural dialogue, namely amongst young people, through artistic, cultural and historic education;
- Promote synergies between the cultural heritage and the contemporary creation and creativity;
- Contribute to the attractiveness and economical sustainable development of the regions, namely through cultural tourism.
Definition of sites
The definition of “sites” used by the EHL is broad.
It includes natural, underwater, archaeological, industrial or urban sites, monuments, cultural landscapes, places of remembrance, cultural goods and objects and intangible heritage.
For all these categories, contemporary heritage (which includes sites recently built or that have played a specific role in the recent European history) can also be considered.
Cultural goods and objects, as well as intangible heritage, have to be connected to a clearly identifiable physical space, in which the information and educational activities will be carried out.
What is the difference between the European Heritage Label and the UNESCO World Heritage?
- the highlight is given to the European value of the sites;
- its educational extent, which differentiates the European label from initiatives adopted by UNESCO (such as the World Heritage List or the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity) and by the Council of Europe, concerning heritage;
- the European narrative and history represented by the sites.
More information about the European Heritage Label